Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In Which Lynde Has Mixed Feelings

From the diary of Dulcie, Crown Princess of Bentlefay:

Well, there is finally a bright spot appearing on the horizon, at least I suppose it is. We have had word from Dumcruckle that the siege there has been broken, and all through the heroic ingenuity of Lynde’s betrothed, if you please. Is there no depth to which that young man will not go to aggravate me? At least Lynde no longer goes about with her lips bitten closed and a wrinkle between her eyebrows, but the trouble is, I’m not sure the way she goes about now isn’t worse.

I happened to be with her when she got the letter – a punishingly long one; it seems the creature has literary tendencies on top of his other failings. First she went red, and then white, and then her mouth went soft and I thought she was going to cry, and then it went hard and I thought she was going to cry for a different reason.

“What is the news,” I asked. “Is there any change for the better?”

She looked up. “They have won,” she said with no expression. “The siege is broken, and all on account of Tom. He made a plan, and risked his life, and in the end he won the day. He is a…hero.”

There was a barely perceptible pause before the last word, but other than that her voice was still colorless. I suppose this should have warned me, but I couldn’t resist.

“They do say it is best to have a husband one can look up to,” I said.

Lynde stood up, rose to her very tallest height, and looked down her nose at me haughtily.

“That was unworthy of you, your majesty,” she said, and swept out of the room.

That was in the morning and I didn’t see her again until the receiving. I was going to apologize but there was something about her that didn’t invite comment. Ever since then she has been alternately businesslike and kittenish whenever anyone has approached her on the matter, and turned the conversation at the earliest opportunity.

The whole business made me very cross and touchy. I can’t confide in Winnie; she has become a different person since Sir Bardolph came and I have dark forebodings of a happy announcement. With Lynde withdrawn from me too, the only resources I have to fall back on are my own. I suppose this is what people mean by growing up, but I am against it.

----------

Lynde Falconer to Thomas Crowder:

My dearest Tom:

I ought to feel so proud of you for bringing salvation to Dumcruckle. I ought to feel so angry with you for risking your safety, as well as Katti and Timothy's. I ought to feel so grateful to you for thwarting Marshweather's plot. I suppose I am all those things, a little bit, and so thankful and relieved that all of you are all right and no longer in danger. I am, wholeheartedly.

I admit, however, to a foolish and unadmirable envy. For the first time in our lives, I have sat and sewed with the women while you went forth with courage and saved us all. My mind is aflame with your glory -- my heart is small, black and mean. I hope that this will not make you ashamed of me or, worse, hurt your feelings and pride.

Please don’t think I want to take anything from your triumph – I hesitated before being so frank. I tell you only because I think you will understand. And, to be honest, because I have always told you everything, haven’t I?

Your only,
Lynde

----------

Dearest Lynde,

Oh, my heart -- of course I'm not hurt and I could never be ashamed of you. And my triumph is so far from shadowed that all I can think about is how truly admirable my deed must have been, if you wish you had done it! Indeed, how much more sure a thing would it have been if you had been there to protect us all? I think it is very fine of us to lend you to the royal family under such circumstances.

If it makes you feel any better, your father feels the same way. He was very pleased to evict me from his quarters once his skeptical mind was convinced that we were truly freed from danger by my plan. The last thing he said to me as I was bundling my things awkwardly away was "I suppose you deserve my girl, after all." He did not sound at all happy about it, and has not spoken to me since.

In any case, be warned -- or reassured, whichever is more soothing to your conscience -- that the true battle is yet to come, and you will be in the thick of this one. Have great care for yourself and your charge, so that when we are reunited, we may polish it into the story of all stories for our grandchildren!

Your devoted,
Tom

Next

No comments: