Friday, December 11, 2009

In Which Intrigue Simmers Beneath The Surface

Lady Marta Figglesworth to Hugo, Crown Prince of Marshweather:

Dear Hugo,

I'm ever so pleased to get your letter. I was ever so embarrassed when Hal told me you thought that about poor Arthur, but I've always been just ever so shy to talk to you alone and poor Arthur was ever so sweet about it. We mostly talked about you actually, it's ever so funny when you think about it. I'm ever so pleased that you feel the same way about me as I do about you.

I'm ever so disappointed that Master Bleake won't let us get married. I've always thought Master Bleake was ever so unpleasant, but perhaps I shouldn't say so. I don't want to write this whole letter again from the beginning though, so you must forget you read it. I always thought that if you are royal enough you were allowed to decide for yourself who to marry, but Hal said no, you're actually even less allowed.

I asked Hal about the Sin Press thing in Bentlefay and he said he couldn't tell me exactly what it was because it's not fit for the ears of any sister of his, but that it had to do with deflowering Princess Dulcie to get out of paying port tax. It sounds ever so nasty. I've thought and thought about it, and I thought maybe you could only pretend to deflower her? I mean, of course she will know the difference, but my parents always say that if a young woman is alone with a young man unchaperoned, it will take away her character, so maybe that will be enough, and when it's all over and Master Bleake has taken whatever he wants to the port, you can give her character back and we can get married after all. I would be ever so happy to be married to you, darling. May I call you darling? I want to ever so much, but I don't know if it's manners to say darling to a prince.

Yours ever so,
Marta

----------

Nicholas Rafe to King Davin of Bentlefay, in cipher:

I may have been able to plant a seed of doubt in our friend Bleake. He has been asking me about our defenses, and although I’ve underreported by about a third as I did with the battleship, he still seemed rather dumbstruck by my response. We managed to embarrass them very completely in the border skirmishes, but I suppose that ten years is a long time – or maybe his memory is selective. In any event, he appeared to take heart when I told him that the tactics were run by the queen and the defenses by the princess; he seems to think that a woman’s generalship will be somehow easier to counter. I have always found that being underestimated is an advantage.

----------

From the journal of Mortimer Bleake, Councilor of Marshweather, in cipher:

Nicholas Rafe’s account of the defensive force at Bentlefay Tower indicates that they are in much more readiness for an attack than I had expected. I suppose I had been allowing myself to assume that all armies were as pathetic as ours. Now I shall have to spend some money; how supremely annoying. Certainly our war tax will buy any number of men, but I had been planning on having that income for my own use. I suppose being the kingmaker of a combined Marshweather and Bentlefay will be worth the loss. At least it had better be.

----------

Thomas Crowder to Lynde Falconer:

Dearest Lynde,

I am so glad to learn that you are doing so much good for the princess – not that I ever doubted it. You will be very good for her, but she will also be good for you, since she seems to be encouraging you into the enjoyment and entertainment that you deserve so much, and that you missed growing up in this quiet country place. We have always been very worthy and rustic here, but while I remember you and Katti speaking stoutly about the superficiality of social life, I still believe that a polish of sophistication is a good thing when the structure is sound.

It is troubling for all of us to hear the news out of Marshweather, but I am glad you warned us -- it is best to be forearmed. If they come in through the border they cannot avoid Dumcruckle, and we must not only protect ourselves but if possible keep them away from the capital, where they can do so much more damage to so many. The news has given Sir Roger and your father a new sense of purpose; I think they had been growing depressed without very much to do and the doctor’s orders so tedious for them. Lady Dumcruckle follows Sir Roger around exactly like a hen – you know, flapping and clucking – but I think it will do him good. Of course your father has his rheumatism, so he can’t do too much even if he tried, but the fire in his eyes is brighter and his back straighter than I have seen them in years. If Marshweather has done us nothing else but harm, they have at least given us that!

We are so proud of you here for your very important work among the highest in our kingdom. I have only seen the king once before, but I am glad to learn that he is as noble as he looks. I look forward to learning your impression of the queen; I am sure it will be a favorable one. An unpleasant woman would not have such a pleasant husband and daughter, surely.

Take care of yourself and your charge, dearest Lynde, and come back safely to us when your duty is done.

All my love,
Tom

Next