Friday, November 13, 2009

In Which Lynde Falconer Assesses Her Position

Lynde Falconer to Thomas Crowder:

Dear Tom,

Today was my first day with Princess Dulcie and I believe my tenure will be a success. The princess certainly needs the protection of an uninterested third party if she and Lady Winifred are not exaggerating. Even the day's worth of besiegement I have seen for myself is enough to make you open your eyes. There are young men from all over the kingdom lining up to sue for her hand, and only the most exalted of them are allowed within the castle. The others have to make do with haunting her daily walks, waiting importunately before the gatehouse in hopes that she might emerge unexpectedly, sending her scented love poetry and clustering beneath the window at night, vying with each other to produce the most compelling serenade. The joke is that it is not her window -- the castle staff were forced in desperation to hang a pair of lace curtains in the farthest reaches of the west wing, far enough from where anyone actually sleeps that the yowling of the suitors doesn't interfere with anyone's rest.

The princess seems more sensible than I had given her credit for. She is certainly very beautiful, of course: her hair is silver-gilt; her complexion is roses and cream; her figure slender but still blooming; and her eyes are true violet, which is something I had never seen. Yet she seems find her appearance and her position to be a burden to her, and I suspect she would rather have the freedom of any country girl of middling looks and average social standing. She reminds me of Katti Dumcruckle in a way, and I wouldn't be surprised if she would trade in her current circumstances to be a jolly brown tomboy in a tumbledown country manor like Katti. She leans upon Lady Winifred very much, and the two of them are nearly inseparable, which is nice for me, since I enjoy Lady Winifred’s company myself, and the two of them together are very amusing. I am afraid they whet their tongues quite sharply indeed over the courtiers at the castle, but since it is done for recreation rather than spite, and does not cause their targets any direct harm, I am able to laugh with them.

I had no idea what my living conditions were to be like when the position was offered to me, and was prepared to sleep anywhere from a cell in the barracks to a truckle at the foot of Princess Dulcie’s bed. But it seems that my coming was the answer to Lady Winifred’s prayer in more ways than one, since she is a famous allumeuse at court and her activities were sadly constrained by the need to sleep in the bedroom communicating with that of the princess. So I have a bedroom befitting a great lady: there is a bed like a wallow hung with rich tapestries, a clothes press big enough for all my clothes (including my mail shirt and my leathers, which will be a great convenience) and some sturdy chairs and benches. There is even a small bookshelf, and the princess has invited me to take anything I want from her father’s library to read, since she is the only one who uses it just at present while the queen and her retinue are traveling. I thanked her kindly, but I will put off taking any of the king’s possessions until I am introduced to him.

The princess leads a rather lonely life, enforced to idleness by her state of siege. I have arranged to practice at the barracks in the morning while the princess and her ladies are engaged in needlework; an hour or two of needlework has always been sufficient for my needs but here they spend all morning at it! They are all better at fancy work than I am on the whole, but when I got back from the barracks I was able to teach the ladies a knitted lace pattern that they had not seen before, so I kept up the name of Dumcruckle in the parlor, at least.

We walk in the woods in the afternoon, which is a nuisance for the princess since her steps are dogged by the importunate suitors, but it is the only time she goes outdoors so she is reluctant to give it up altogether. I was able to spare her some annoyance today, since young men do rather tend to grow silent when they first see me, and it is easier to ignore people when they are at least silent. The princess is very firm about having a rest after her walk, so I have an hour or so to devote to letter-writing every day. You may have cause to complain of hearing too much from me!

Tonight I will see the court and meet the king for the first time, and I will be able to tell you all about them at length. I am enjoying the high life very much so far, but the princess tells me I have only seen the relatively pleasant part of it, and that the court will make me wish I had never been born. I know she is prejudiced in that regard, and I feel it might be easier for me to enjoy the social aspects of court life in my small way than it is for her.

It seems my life is very full of happenings just at present, but a thread of disappointment runs through it all at my inability to share it with you. These letters are a poor substitute, but they help me to feel that you are closer, and that you have a window of understanding into my new circumstances. It is all for the sake of our future happiness, and although separation is a sorrow for the time being, it will double our resources and bring our wedding that much closer, and I am sure we will consider it worthwhile when we are together for good.

Your loving,
Lynde

Next